THE FLÅM RAILWAY
The Flåm Railway is considered to be one of Norway's most important and spectacular tourist attractions. Every year, this amazing railway line attracts visitors from around the world, and in 2014 Lonely Planet named it the world's most beautiful train journey. The line between Vatnahalsen and Flåm is open throughout the year. The trip on the Flåm Railway provides a panorama of some of the wildest and most magnificent Norwegian mountain scenery at any time of the year. You will see rivers slicing their way through deep gorges, waterfalls leaping off steep mountainsides with snow-covered mountain peaks, as well as mountain farms clinging tenaciously to steep slopes. Down at the bottom, you can enjoy the scenic cultural landscape of the Flåm Valley and admire the beautiful Aurlandsfjord.
Facts about the Flåm Railway
– A branch line to the Bergen Railway from Myrdal station to Flåm.
– Completed in 1940 and opened for regular traffic two years later.
– One of Norway's biggest tourist attractions.
– It is 19 km From Vatnahalsen to Flåm.
– The Flåm Railway has a total of 20 tunnels, of which 18 are built by hand.
– About 80 % of the line has a gradient of 5.5 %.
– Travel time from Flåm to Vatnahalsen is approx. one hour
– The train runs throughout the year.